Tired

*I put up a video of the cliffs on the island here http://youtube.com/watch?v=Je0dsNHjyjs *

Today was really good.

Let's start with yesterday, though.

After making my post and uploading pictures that I wasn't supposed to be able to via the Balleycastle Public Liberry, I trekked on to Cushendall. The ride was nice because the sun had broken through the overcastness. On the way up the hill out of Ballycastle I realized that I hadn't filled up my water bladder (back pack not human pack). I stopped off at a B & B and went inside to ask the owner if I could use a bathroom faucet or something.

Now, I've never been inside a Bed and Breakfast, but as it turns out, you don't just walk into the living room and ask if you can use a faucet. I guess I scared the woman a little because at first she was okay with me being there but then she changed her tune and told me that you don't just walk into someone's house and show yourself around (or something like that. I don't know. I wasn't really listening (Dumb and Dumber)). Things got quite awkward after that so I filled up the bladder quickly, apologized and left.

Things sorted, I pressed on. I got in to Cushendall about 9:30 pm and ate the only real meal that I had eaten since my lunch of crackers and cheese with the seals. Just so you know, cans of precooked soup and breads make for a good anywhere meal. One thing I noticed as I rode into town is that the temperature dropped from around 60 to about 40. My cold and clumbsy fingers dealt with dinner fine, but I was convinced that a hostel would be a good option for the night.

I went back up the hill from the bay where I had eaten dinner to ask someone at another B & B where a hostel was. The first one I found was full and locked up, but the second had the owner (John) out to greet me. Okay, so maybe he just happened to be out there when I rolled up. I asked about hostels, and he said there weren't really any around. He told me that he regularly charged 25 pounds (50 dollars) per night but he could give a room to me for 20. As I did the multiplication for U.S. dollars, my body suddenly began to feel so much warmer. I realized that for 40 dollars I could easily brave the weather in my tent.

Well, the guy was nice enough to let me stay on the lawn behind the trees in my tent. In the morning, his wife (Mary) came up to me as I was leaving and asked if I was going to come in for tea. I didn't realize that she was inviting me in and told her that I was headed to Belfast. Thankfully, John was there to tell me that she was trying to invite me in. Boy, am I thankful I listened. Not only was I served tea but toast, jam, ham, sausages and an egg. It was good. I thanked them soundly afterward and gave Mary a hug, which I'm pretty sure was uncalled for due to my stench. Sorry Mary.

I biked back to Larne, a city close to Belfast, and took the bus the rest of the 25 miles. I was back in time to return the bike and see the waste fair they had going on in downtown Belfast. After that, I met up with Miguel (couch surfer) and we went to his flat. He was nice enough to treat me to some Lebonese cuisine, and he showed me some true Irish music. All in all, a good day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whew

Already